Wednesday 1 February 2012

Here we go again

As some of you know, two years ago I went for the challenge of skiing across Finland. At the time, I was 56, did a bit of cross country skiing - about 6 days per year, and never skied more than 35km in a day. But I stumbled across the Rajalta Rajalle Hiihto - the English translation is "Border to Border Ski" which was in its 27th year. The borders in question are the Russian and Swedish borders, making the trip 444km across Northern Finland from just north east of Kuusamo/Ruka to Tornio.

Now when you look at it on the map, it is not 444km, but over the years the people doing it decided that the shortest route was not enough of a challenge, and so it has grown by more than 100km over the years. This year, it is 450km, so it has gained a few since two years ago.

Well I did complete it two years ago - just - I even managed the day of 87km and still was not the last to finish. It is not a race, but there are always a few keen ones. There was never any danger I would be anywhere other than close to the back. What did surprise me was that I was one of the younger ones.

It is something you never forget - you forge a bond with some of your fellows. For some people, it is an irrestible lure, like Alfred who is well into his 70s and is doing it this year for the 21st time. I have succumbed and am going back for a second time; just like Freddy, the Italian who did it for the first time when I did two years ago.

What makes it a little harder for me is that I am one of a small group that does not live anywhere snow and able to train in the winter. I have tried roller skis, but they are totally different and require stronger ankles and operate in different degrees of freedom to real skis.

This year, I have at least managed to get a couple of sessions on snow - but this was by taking my skis to Helsinki in December (I was there for a meeting) and with the snow being late, I was reduced to training on an indoor track.

Other than this, all I can do is just get fit through running, cycling (of which I have done little this time) and time on the rowing machine. This year, it is harder because I am away on business a lot of the time, so am reduced to pounding the streets of Brussels, or checking into upmarket hotels which have fitness rooms.

Why do I do it? I don't really know. I have always been fascinated with the snowy regions - our geology teacher at school had worked on the British Antarctic Survey, so that and the story of Scott and the South Pole. The other day I was contemplating this, and concluded that the nicest obituary anyone could write for me might be something like "he didn't just sit at a desk". Actually I do know why I did it the first time. I wanted to know that if life got really difficult, as it inevitably does as you get older, would I be one who would rise to the challenge, or would I be a quitter.So this time around it is to prove to myself that I can do it again.

It is only four weeks on Saturday that I fly out for 3-4 days to acclimatise before the RR starts on Thursday March 8th. My fitness does not seem to be improving much, but on my Saturday run, the heart rate is getting consistently lower. My spirits have been lifted by seeing that Andrew Musgrave - the top British cross country skier - finished second in the 15km race in the Norwegian championships.

Last time I raised money for Wallace and Gromit's Grand Appeal. This time I thought Sport Relief would be a good cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment