Wednesday 12 March 2014

RR Day 6

Today I have to pay tribute to the people who make the tracks for us. At one point today, they had to chop down trees, build a bridge and pile snow on top of it to allow us to cross a fast running stream. The lack of snow shows - at times we are skiing through the tops of small trees and bushes that would normally be buried.

The first stretch in the morning is fast, and double poling most of the way I cover 20km in a couple of hours - a great improvement for me, as I have never sustained above 10km/hr for any length of time.

This day is mostly flat in the sense that it doesn't have many hills. However, we are often on ground that undulates - a bit like a ploughed field where the furrows are about a metre deep. This type of skiing keeps me on my toes, but having mastered double poling, I find that this means my skis only need to be steered, and not providing propulsion at the same time.

Double poling is the answer (for me) to icy roads and tracks - previously one of the difficulties I had.


No comments:

Post a Comment