Saturday 9 March 2013

Day 3 - it's all about saving energy

Today I realised that this day last year is a complete blank in my memory. I had forgotten most of the hills - and it is rare that you forget a 2km uphill when cross country skiing (at least at my level). However, Thor-Frederick reminded me that last year I struggled towards the end on this section, so perhaps that's why I don't remember much.

Within a hundred metres or so, it is the same distance as yesterday, and according to the analysis, the same training load. Believe it or not, 8 hours skiing is only 3765 calories - about twice my daily recommended intake.

It may have been a beautiful day, but for the first hour or so, I couldn't see any of it - it was so cold my breath had frozen on both sides of my glasses. I have enough trouble with them misting up. But at times, when you go into shade, it can be difficult to see the tracks, and my photochromics take far too long to react. This can be quite scary when you are doing 30km/hr or so and cannot see where the track goes - at least for me, because my balance is not so great that unless I ski into the turn, I have a habit of not making it, as in today's close encounter with a tree, when I just stopped in time.

By the half way mark, Thor-Frederick had a six inch icicle hanging from his balaclava. But other than that, it was a beautiful day.

Tonight was a special celebration of the 30th RR. Incredibly, two people - Vaino and Leila who skied the first one have skied every single one since.

No comments:

Post a Comment