Friday 15 March 2013

Day 7 - the end in sight


The final day dawns. Other people are off early, so I do the same and hit the ski trail at 7:07am. The first couple of kilometres retrace our route from the previous day, including a stretch on my favourite skiing surface - the icy road.

 I get most of the way through the hills before more than a couple of people pass me. Because the track is narrow and I am slow, I try to do faster skiers the courtesy of stepping briefly out of the track for them to pass. After about 10km I do this for one in a real hurry and my left ankle goes over on its side. So now I have to go round corners even more gently - at least for 30km until I reach the bus and my pain killers.

 Still, hardly anyone passes me, and I know that I was an early starter. So either they are all slow, or many have taken the bus for the first section. There has been much debate over the distance for today. For the first time in 4 years, we will be able to ski straight down the river in Tornio to the hotel, which is on an island between Finland and Sweden. There is something special about arriving at your hotel on skis.

 Because I suspect the distance is underestimated, I pace myself to expect at least another 5km. After the last rest stop, which in the past has been the finish, we then are skiing on frozen rivers right the way to the hotel. I have never done this section before, and had expected it to be flat and easy. This turns out to be a misconception. I don't know whether it is tiredness, but for the next 12km this river seems to be going uphill. It is certainly not flat - it may have frozen flat, but then the openness and the twists and turns have meant that drifting snow has created a landscape at times more like sand dunes. The cold weather means that skis are not gliding - a lot of today has seemed more like snow shoeing with planks rather than skiing. After I have finished an analysis of the data shows that I expended 25% more energy for 15km less than the longest day.

 Finally, just before 6pm and the setting sun, I make the final turn and ski across the river to the hotel. I always find this emotional - not least as there are always some kids from the local college stood in freezing temperatures to cheer us across the finish (Finnish) line, and give us our final hot drink before showing us where to put our skis in the hotel.

 A quick shower, then dinner and the presentations. Although mentioned at the briefing at the start, there is the custom that each nationality presents something at the end. Having been the sole Brit on the two previous occasions, this time I joined the Norwegians. I don't think I will ever forget the uncontrollable, infectious laughter of a Norwegian lady around my age crawling across a table pretending to be a goat, and Jorn made a convincing (but thin) troll. (I have actually skied in Hovringen in Norway across a bridge that really looks like the sort that should have a troll living under it). For those of you who watched it and wonder still what my part was - I was supposed to be up on the Seter milking the goats. (Where I live is Somerset - from the sommer seter - summer pastures, because prior to land drainage it was too wet to farm here in the winter).

 After that, we end up as just two or three groups of hard drinkers, until it is soon time to get up and on our way to the airport.

 Back to reality, but as usual, I will make a final post of the lessons learned in a few days time in case anyone else is thinking of doing the Rajalta Rajalle Hiihto for 2014.

I believe that I now hold the dubious honour of being the Brit that has skied more times across Finland than any other Brit. Seven more times and I get a plaque to show I am a master skier. Actually, each year I have got fitter and better faster than the deterioration with age, so I think I should be able to manage a few more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment