Monday 12 March 2012

Day 5 - Wax is a new swear word.

Managed good progress this morning, keeping up with many of the faster skiers. This includes someone better not identified because they are skiing with a sort of exo-skeleton on one knee because a downhill skiing injury from a couple of months ago is still healing.

However, after the last stop, things started to go wrong. Waxes are very temperamental in the region around freezing point. So I set off using exactly the same wax I had been using only a few minutes earlier, but there was no grip. Then after a couple of kilometers, it changed from no grip to being rooted to the spot. I had the same problem with my next wax. Fresh snow then started falling, which calls for a different was again. After everyone had long since passed me, I ended up stripping all the grip wax and ending up with the only wax I had that did not root me to the spot. However, the downside of this is that it did not give me any grip whatsoever. So I had to struggle along very slowly for a few kilometers until the temperature dropped and my wax started to have a bit of grip.


However, waxing apart, it was a nice day, and where else would you be greeted by someone in a polar bear outfit as you ski into a rest stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment